Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hypocritical Librarian?

So... it turns out I don't take my own advice. I've started reading "Swim the Fly" by Don Calame. I've gotten past the first 25 pages and you know what? I really just don't like it. I don't like the way it's written. I don't like any of the characters. Really. ANY of them. The plot revolves around these three teenage boys who have made a pact over the summer to see a real live naked girl. I'm wondering if it's the plot itself that bothers me. If there's something in there about men being disgusting and women being objectified. Still, I don't even think it's that. I think it's that I've read the first 25 pages and just plain don't like it.

Normally, if one of the teens in my library came to me and told me the same story, I'd be all, "Well stop reading the book and get something else." I just don't think I'm going to do that. I've already read 25 pages, ladies and gentlemen. I know they're going to see that naked girl, and I'm pretty sure I won't like it... but what if I'm wrong? You never know, right? RIGHT!? So I'm going to work my second to last overtime shift today, and I think that is the book I'm bringing with me. Not because I really want to. Because I already started it and I'm too lazy to pick up another book.

I don't think I've said this before, but reading suggestions are always welcome. Especially YA fiction, since I'm supposed to be reading/booktalking the crap out of those. See you later tatertots.

No comments: