Monday, May 18, 2009

In Review: Swim the Fly


I had very few expectations for this book, which is good in hindsight. It was very underwhelming. I think this might be a good example of a "boy book" - a book geared towards young male adolescents who may not necessarily read all the time. The humor was very low brow. Our hero, the protagonist Matt, poops himself pretty early on. While he's dressed up a girl. Hilarious! ... just not for me. I didn't hate the book, but there were few moments to really enjoy. The way Matt and his friends talk to each other is also not how real boys would speak. They use a lot of made up slang words to replace what teenagers would actually say, which is much more annoying than it is endearing. Matt's grandfather and his wacky obsession with his newly widowed neighbor is more bothersome than diversive. I also think it took too long for the ACTUAL love story to develop, which happened far more towards the end of the book than it did towards the beginning. It's not a bad attempt; but it's definitely more 'tween' than 'teen' - and hey, I was just looking for something a little more grown up.

No comments: