Thursday, June 24, 2010

ALA Annual 2010 - Washington D.C.

To quote Rogue from the X-Men early nineties cartoon, "He's runnin' for Congress!" Or that's what keeps going through my head as I prepare for the annual conference of the American Library Association. This year, it's being held in Washington D.C.

This won't be the first time I've been to the state capital. Since I'm originally from New Hampshire, I lived close enough that we took the fateful 8th grade trip I'm sure many kids on the east coast probably remember. That was the one time I went and it was many, many years ago. I'd by lying if I said I wasn't a little excited. This will be my fourth ALA conference. I also have a feeling it might be my last one for awhile, as I can't afford to go to places like San Diego and New Orleans without being in some serious financial turmoil.

This is also the first ALA conference where I have surprisingly little to do. When I was in Boston last spring, I was primarily concerned with committee meetings for the Stonewall Book Awards which took up the majority of the time I was there. When I went first to Philadelphia then to Anaheim in 2008 the first and foremost task on my mind was getting a job. This will be the first time I won't be scrambling around trying to 'accomplish' something. I will be attending the Stonewall Book Awards Brunch, since it really is a celebration of my committee work from last year. I'm also hoping to finally meet Adriana Trigiani, who will be both at the HarperCollins both on Sunday, then reading from her book later on.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Oh Ry-ry, where have you gone? I hate when you deactivate! :(