Friday, May 7, 2010

CURRENT: Countdown by Deborah Wiles

Every so often, a book comes along and all I want to do is sit down and read it cover-to-cover. Once you start reading it, you know it's something special, and there just won't be anything more fun that finishing it.

Countdown by Deborah Wiles is one of those books. At least, for me. Set in 1962, this is the title that managed to get me excited about young adult fiction all over again. It focuses on Franny, a young 11 year old girl who, along with all the assorted family drama, is literally facing the end of the world. The Cuban Missle Crises looms on the horizon. Her father is in the Air Force and she lives just off an army base. I'm about a third of the way through the book- Chris Cavas, Franny's long lost neighbor, has just returned to the street she lives on. She's in love with him. And I'm in love with this book.

School Library Journal recently published one of my reviews for all those graphic novels they've been sending me. For the record, I do not get paid for writing them (people have been asking me that a lot). Getting published is it's own reward. That said, if you would like to pay me for reviewing your book here, you know there's a comments section below.

If you are looking for something to read this month, I recommend picking up Philip Roth's The Human Stain. I hear there is a really cool online book discussion group focusing on it this month. Hey! Who's that running that discussion? I feel like I know him...

No comments: