Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Sister, the Felon

Some reading updates- I've given up on the Maisie Dobbs novel, but I'm hopefully going to have my review up on LJ and Random Buzzers this week. I bet you can't wait to see how I close since I don't know how the novel actually ends; I'll probably leave that part out. I did spend an amazing evening until 3:00 AM reading "The Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy" by Robert Leleux. I saw that someone was a fan of it on The Book so I decided to check it out from the Parker Russo Library. Which I shouldn't have, because I haven't been there in almost a month at this point. The book is an amazing story of a boy's dysfunctional relationship with his mother. I read the whole thing really fast. It made my life seem a lot better by comparison, despite having a pretty crazy mother myself. I've also started reading "Seedfolks" by Paul F. I bet not a lot of books are named "Seedfolks" so it should be easy for you to look up, people. It's short, and I'm halfway through it after a short subway ride. It's all about how a local community band together to plant in an abandoned lot/trash dump after seeing a little girl do it first. The novel is written to reflect each character's voice chapter to chapter, so it's kind of fun to read if you have no attention span. I have to do a presentation at a high school (a 'Booktalk' if you will) on some YA Lit I've read, so I wanted to read a bit more before Thursday. I just don't know if that will happen.

1 comment:

Clare said...

My stepson had to read Seedfolks when he was in middle school. I haven't read it, but I heard it was worth doing. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts.